Your Indoor Air Quality
Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
Due to the improvements in code and construction of newer buildings outdoor air infiltrates and is trapped indoors and on average indoor air quality is 3 to 5 times worse than outdoors.
- Major Causes of Poor IAQ
- Dust, dirt and debris
- CO2 from fuel burning stoves and furnaces, fireplaces, heaters, etc.
- And many other factors
Most Common Solutions
1) Air Filtration
- Selecting the correct air filter for the filter regularly
- Writing the installation date on the filter
- Setting a calendar alarm
2) Humidity Control – Keeping the humidity of a home in check improves the health of the occupants by improving lung health, alleviating aUergy and asthma symptoms, and lessening instances of illness. Proper humidification of the home can make the space feel warmer with lower temperatures during the winter. Wood flooring, cabinets, furniture, and other fixtures are protected from cracks and drying out. Static electricity in the home is also reduced when air is properly moisturized.
- Portable Humidifiers – provide spot humidification and must be continually refilled and descaled.
- Home Furnace Humidifiers – provide whole home humidification and are hooked into a dedicated water line.
3) UV Lights – Ultraviolet lights were shown to kill mold, viruses and bacteria more than 100 years ago. In fact, in 1903, Niels Finsen was given the Noble Prize in Medicine for using UV to effectively treat patients with skin infections.
- Coil Sanitizing Lights – Installed where they can shine directly on the surface of the coil which is a breeding ground for mold and bacteria. The UV Light prevents this growth with continuous operation.
- Air Sanitizing Light – Installed in the ductwork brining the return air to the system and is used to kill airborne germs and mold.
Common questions to ask a homeowner
- Have you taken any steps to improve the air quality in your home?
- Do you, or anyone you live with suffer from pollen, mold, or other allergies?
- Does it ever feel dry in your home during the winter time?
- Have you ever heard of air purification?
- Are you concerned about bacteria or viruses in your home?